One of the topics that is always mentioned on a VMware course is troubleshooting, one of the things that I can state as an IT veteran of over 30 years is this, “We can’t teach someone to become a trouble-shooter, we can only train people on the tools and when it’s appropriate to use them.”
The VMware vSphere 6.5: Install, Configure, and Manage course, does cover some basic troubleshooting, however VMware Education provide much more in the case of actual troubleshooting vSphere.
As an employee of a VMware Authorised Training Centre, I have to mention that we have a course/workshop that can help provide the tools to troubleshoot common issues within the VMware vSphere 6.5 product, and that course is titled:
VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V6.5]
This course covers the following topics:
- Use vSphere Web Client, the command-line interface, and logs to diagnose and resolve problems in the vSphere environment.
- Introduce troubleshooting principles and procedures.
- Troubleshoot networking problems and recover from these problems.
- Analyse storage failure scenarios and resolve the problems.
- Troubleshoot vSphere cluster failure scenarios and analyse possible causes.
- Diagnose common VMware vSphere® High Availability problems and provide solutions. Troubleshoot problems related to virtual machine migration (VMware vSphere® vMotion®) and improve resource use (VMware vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler™).
- Troubleshoot VMware vCenter Server® problems Identify VMware ESXi™ host problems, analyse failure scenarios, and correct them.
- Troubleshoot faulty virtual machines, including installation problems, snapshot problems, connection problems, and more.
The course/workshop lasts for 5 days, and is very lab intensive.
The course can also help prepare towards, not only your journey to the VCP6.5-DCV, but then further onto the VCIX6-DCV qualification.
Some useful resources for troubleshooting can be found below at the following links.
VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V6.5] course outline
The following links take you to a webcast hosted by VMware's Feidlim O'Leary
vSphere 6.5 Troubleshooting Webcast Q&A Transcript
VMware vSphere 6.5 Top Issues and Troubleshooting - (AMER Session)